As the SLORC's "National Convention" begins in Rangoon, their army is actively forcing tens of thousands of Karen civilians into guarded camps throughout Karen State in an effort to exert complete control over the civilian population. In these armed camps, or "key villages" as the SLORC has called them, no food or medicine is provided, yet guards patrol the perimeter. Villagers face the regular threat of beatings, starvation and death by disease. They have only whatever food and belongings they could bring with them, and even their meager food supply is plundered by the troops for their rations. This operation has the following objectives: by encamping civilians around their Army camps, they restrict the possibility of attack by the opposition forces; by depopulating entire regions, they prevent the civilians from supporting the opposition; in the camps, the civilians become a captive population whenever the SLORC wants slaves to porter munitions or work on the "development" projects. This relocation is clearly the first step in declaring entire regions of Karen State "free fire zones" and launching a massive new offensive against Karen border areas, in which all of the civilians in the relocation camps will surely be used as porters and human minesweepers
Following are the direct translations of several SLORC orders already brought in by the first groups of villagers fleeing the forced relocations. Copies of the original orders, stamped, signed, and written in Burmese, are available on request.
The following order was received in Papun Township
The 8 villages covered by this order comprise about 1,800 people, of an estimated total of 5,000 to 7,000 people ordered to relocate in Papun township alone.
Village SLORC Village SLORC
Kadaing Ti Village Tract Kadaing Ti Village Tract
Papun Township Papun Township
No. 00l/1.K.D.D. 'Papun
Date: 1992 Dec. 29
To: Chairman, Kwee Net Village
Subject: Transfer of Villages
Regarding the above subject, the undermentioned villages will transfer by 7 January to the specified villages. If they have not moved by this date, we will take severe action. Be sure to relay this message to the villagers.
1). Nat Kyaut Village must move to Kadaing Ti Village
2). Kwee Net village must move to Kadaing Ti Village
3). Bu Wah Kwee Village must move to Pah Lone Gyi Village
4). Hsin Zweh village must move to Tee Theh Lay Village
5). Po Mah Heh Village must move to Baw Kyo Leh Village
6). Lay Naw Village must move to Baw Kyo Leh Village
7). Shwe Yay Village must move to Baw Kyo Leh Village
8). Pah Lone Ywa Lay village must move to Pah Lone Ywa Gyi
Village Tract SLORC
Kadaing Ti Village
This order was received by villagers in Pa' an Township, Thaton District:
Management Committee for Relocation of Villages
Letter No. 002/2-1/Ya Pa Ka (Ba Aa)
Dated: 1992 December 7
U Tha Saw Village
Pa An Township
Subject: To relocate the villages on the western side of the Salween River
1. Regarding the above subject, the under-mentioned. villages on the western side of the Salween river are informed to move between 12 December & 31 December 1992.
(Paan Township Villages on the Western side of Salween River)
a). Htee Po Net and Htee Meh Baw must move to Mee Bee bone
b). Naw Ta Ray central village must move to Let Pan Dan
c). Saw Kay Kee, Tah Lu Kee, Htee Kyu, Noe Aw Lah villages P'Lan Daung
d). Meh Theh, Ko Cho, Noh Ka Tay, Htee Kyaw, Meh Tha Naat villages to move to T'Laing Kayin village
e). Hat T'Lait, and villages at the foot of Kyun Sein Mountain to move to big village at Kyun Sein mountain
f). Meh Theh Kee, Meh Theh Kan Nan, Yay Way monastery to move to Meh Theh Ywa Gyi
g). Kyar Yu village to move to Ko Po P'Leh
h). Shwe Kyi, Myat Lay, Kyaung Ywa, Kaw Heh Lay, Kaw Heh, Kyun Htay, Kwee Lay Lay to move to Shwe Oke
i). Ta Gay Laung, Chaung Bya village to move to Ta Gay Laung
j). Htee Pa Doh Kee Villages to the east of Pyin Ma Bein Seik
k). Po Kyar, Pya Kin Pu, Lay Kaw Htee, Kone Galay, Nyar Paw Kee villages to move to Kyet Thaung Seik
l). Meh Taw Khee, Theh Pyu Chaung, Let Kyo Ko, Let Kyo Kaw Htee, Tar Meh Kee, Noh Ber Baw, Wah Tho KIah villages to move to Theh Pyu Chaung Ywa.
2. The villagers must accomplish this by themselves, by the 31st December as the last date allowed.
3. When they move they must also move their rice, cattle and houses. Any rice and cattle left behind will be confiscated if found by the military columns. If any villagers hide in the forest they will be shot and arrested.
4. Therefore, the villagers are informed that they must all move by the deadline.
Signed: Saw Hia Htun
Management committee for Relocation of the Village
Outpost, Woat Gyi Village Tract, Paan District
District Police Commander; Paan
P.S.O. (Police Force) Paan Township
inspector, Woat Gyi Police Station
This order was sent to villagers in Papun Township:
Letter No. 2-3/village SLORC. Ka Ma
Date: December 9th 1992
Pa Baung Village
Subject: Removing All Villages from This Area
Reference: (1). Letter from 883 Strategic command1 Dated 6/12/92
Letter No. 1005/1 comdr./l
(2). Township SLORC (suboffice), Ka Ma Maung, letter
dated 9/12/92 from Township SLORC Papun
1. I have been informed by letter regarding the above subject (reference to point no. 11) that all undermentioned villages in Papun Township must move between 12th December and 31st December, 1992. After this date any one found hiding in the villages by the military columns will be shot, and any possessions still remaining in the villages will be confiscated.
2. Therefore, by this order, the named villages must hereby gather at the specified relocation site.
a). Meh Gala, Kee Lu Bra, They Nan Lan villages must move to Yay Bu Village
b). Taun Kyay Yin, Wah Du, Hat Gyi, Ha Bong, Kyaun Daw villages must move to Ta Dah Oo Village.
c). Kwin De Lah, Lay Pi Wah, Tee Naw Thay Hta villages must move to Wah Tho Ko Village
d). Shwe Yay, Po Pah Heh, Htee They Leh, Sah Li Kah, Pi Law Thay Ta villages must move to Taung Thone Lone village.
Signed: Aye Myint
Village SLORC Ka Ma Maung
Copies to: 883 Strategic Command, Ka Ma Maung
Deputy Township Officer, Ka Ma Maung
This order was received by villagers in Thaton Township:
For Immediate Action
No. 10/1 - 10/ Ma Wa Ta (Thaton)
Dated: 1992 December
Naung Ka Doke/Ma Chat/Chaung Sauk/Moe Kaung/Wee Yaw/Dun Wun
Subject: Relocation of Villages for security reasons
1. Within Thaton Township, in order to exterminate insurgents, due to security requirements, it is necessary that those villages in unsecured areas must move to safe areas. During the joint meeting of 88 Strategic Command HQ, 99 Strategic Command HQ, Local Military Command, State SLORCs, District SLORCs, and Township SLORCs, it was decided that the fol1owing villages will be relocated to the places mentioned:
|Villages to be relocated
a. Naung Ka Doke Village Tract
1). Naung Ka Doke Village
b. Ma Chat Village Tract
1). Ma Chat Village
c. Chaung Sauk Village Tract
1). Yay Way Village
d. Moe Kaung Village Tract
1). Paw Pah Village
| Relocation Sites
Wee Yaw Village Tract
Htone Bo Gyi Village
Ma Chat Village Tract area
Mar Lar Pu field near
Dun Wun Village Tract
Ka Ma Saing Village
Within Moe Kaung Village Tract area
Western side of the Moe Gaung car road
2. At each relocation site, the relocated villagers must build a double fence around the site with only 2 gates. Those villages to be relocated will make preparations from 5/12/92 to 11/12/92, and between 12/12/92 and 31/12/92 they must complete the move to the re1ocation site.
3. To ensure that the relocation movements can occur within the time allowed, you are to explain this order to every family.
- 88 Strategic Command, Thaton
- 99 Strategic Command, Bilin
- 44 Strategic Command, Thaton
- District SLORC (Thaton)
- 24 Bn. Don Yin Seik
This order was received by the headman of Kyaut Done Village, Thaton District:
Frontline 315 Light Infantry Battn.
To: Village Head
Kyauk Done Village
1) When the villagers in this village meet the military column, they run away and escape. Therefore, starting from this date you must notify the villagers not to run away and escape any longer.
2) Next time they meet the military column, if they run to escape they will be shot, arrested, and questioned. After this, if they have been wounded or killed, our military column will not be responsible for that. You have hereby been informed.
Column 2 Headquarters
Frontline 315 LIB